Interesting fact of being an exchange student in Japan

As people who probably know Japan as a huge industrial country has some cool facts in it, no matter the technology, people and culture. All mix and create a wonderful place to life.

I'm the one of other 6 lucky students for an exchange program in Yamagata University majoring Agriculture but I take Forest ecology department. I'm from Indonesia and would stay in Japan for one year living depend on not-so-much amount of scholarship. Yamagata University has 4 campuses and mine is in Tsuruoka city which is 2 hours far from Yamagata city by bus. Tsuruoka is small city but co calm. Humble people, rice field, farming, modern, and nice weather though it's minus something in winter time. Such a compatible place for those who are gonna spend the rest 1 year for learning and gaining knowledge. Just like some spot city in Japan, Tsuruoka has some odd culture, ginga (temple) and beautiful cherry's garden which is so much colorful and beautiful in spring time (people say).

I arrived in summer time an it was raining. The rain in Tsuruoka should be aware. It comes by sudden and stop by leaving leave falls and garbage everywhere. It is unfortunate cause my 100 yen umbrella almost turning back and broken because of the wind. At the same time there was also big storm in Kyushu (southern Japan) and I think the wind in Tsuruoka was taken from Kyushu. But summer is always nice for walk here. No matter how hot and dry it is, I'm sure it's nothing compare to my Indonesia. It has so much different though in summer time between tropical and subtropical country.

I will spend in Forest Ecology for one year here, as I mentioned above. The laboratory was nice and so 'school'. In Indonesia (my university), the 4th year student can just choose their laboratory without test or entrance examination, but here, start at 3rd year, all students should attend the entrance exam for choosing laboratory. From that,the supervisor will select and choose their own student. Then, the elected students will be provided by seat, LAN internet and of course, access to laboratory. It is fair enough though in Indonesia everything is done by free (without any examination) and directly ask to supervisor whether they like to be your supervisor or not.
Also, I love to have my seat here. I mean, I can freely put everything on my desk without asking permition to anyone. And, the most important, I can freely work on my desk with an stable internet connection for 24 hours.
Some of university has limit time a day, but here in Japan, even an exchange student has a key card for for their ability to enter university anytime they want. Totally different in Indonesia (my university, even at 11 outside the university, we are not allowed to stay and we will be kicked out by security.

My point is, how trust and happy the government (university) give access for student to learn and gain knowledge as much as they can here in Japan. The government should consider that student is the future ans their brilliant thought and mood could come anytime and giving access for them to explore their own thought is very important. Safety, it may be the biggest consideration, well, what is the security officer then? They could stay up all night anyway

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THINGS TO DO IN JAPAN #8-Hanami (Sakura party)

KABUL, AFGHANISTAN: Pemandangan kota

Rock Festival of Agriculture in Tsuruoka, 29 September 2013